Open networks are based on standard, white-box hardware with a choice of independent open software for NOS, SDN, virtualization and cloud orchestration. For years, hyperscale data center operators have been enjoying the benefits of open networking: reduced network equipment expenses, automated and accelerated provisioning of network capacity and services, greater control over the development of enhanced network services, flexibility to work with best-in-class suppliers, and reduced operating expenses.
These open network benefits are now available for many more network use cases. Public and private cloud data centers of all sizes are being deployed with network fabrics built from open TOR and spine switches. Open networks are addressing telecommunications service provider requirements for new central office architectures, managed services delivery, monitoring and analytics networks, and Internet exchanges. Enterprises are deploying open network solutions outside their data centers, in distribution facilities, Power-over-Ethernet networks for wireless access and security applications, and campus networks.
Edgecore Networks Leadership in Open Networks
Together with technology and channel partners, Edgecore Networks delivers leading open networks solutions for cloud data center, telecommunications and enterprise customers.
- Edgecore Networks is an Accton company, leveraging the network technology, development and manufacturing capabilities of Accton Technology Corporation, the leading network ODM.
- Edgecore Networks supplies Facebook and other hyperscale cloud operators with ToR and spine switches that meet the most demanding performance, scale and reliability requirements.
- Edgecore’s AS5712-54X 10G switch was the first switch design approved by the Open Compute Project, demonstrating Edgecore’s commitment to open hardware designs. Edgecore Networks has submitted three additional switch designs to OCP: the AS7700-32X based on Broadcom Tomahawk switch silicon which is the industry’s first open 100G switch; the 100G AS7500-32X which is the first open switch design based on Cavium XPliant switch silicon; and the AS6712-32X, a cost optimized 40G switch.
- Edgecore Networks leads the industry in working with partners and industry groups to validate and make open networks deployable. Edgecore Networks offers the most switches with OCP ONIE Certification, the most switches supporting Open Network Linux, and is a charter member of OCP’s UNH-IOL Open Networking Test Services Consortium which validates bare-metal switches running different NOS with different cables/optics.
- Edgecore Networks switches support the broadest set of commercial and open source software choices in the industry, providing customers with choice of the switching and SDN architectures.
- Edgecore Networks'value added distributor, integrator, and reseller partners provide a full set of services and infrastructure products to support the requirements of cloud service providers, big data companies, telecom operators, and enterprises.
Commercial Networking Operating System Options
All Edgecore Networks data center switches support the Open Network Install Environment (ONIE) for automated loading of compatible NOS software. Edgecore Networks works with a broad set of commercial NOS vendors to provide NOS options suitable for different network use cases and requirements.
- Cumulus®Linux® : Web-scale Linux operating system for network hardware, enabling use of Linux tools for management, provisioning, monitoring, application development, and orchestration.
- Pica8® PicOS™ : Hybrid NOS supporting traditional switch-based L2 and L3 protocols, plus SDN functionality through Open-vSwitch (OVS) based OpenFlow interface to centralized controller applications.
- Switch Light OS® : lightweight NOS delivered as part of centralized, SDN applications from Big Switch Networks® Big Tap™ Monitoring Fabric and Big Cloud Fabric™ for network virtualization.
Open Source Software
In addition to supporting a broad choice of commercial NOS options on its open network switches, Edgecore Networks provides a choice of open source software distributions from leading open network communities. The open source software options allow networks to be deployed on entirely open NOS software platforms, or provide an open source platform for network operators, integrators, and ISVs to develop value-add switch plug-ins and applications.
Accton and Edgecore Networks are active members of the OpenSwitch, OCP and ONF open software communities. The following open source software options are available on Edgecore Networks open switches.
- OpenSwitch. A completely open-source and full function NOS launched in October 2015. Accton is a charter member of the OpenSwitch community working with HP and other members to optimize OpenSwitch functions on open switches.
- Open Network Foundation's (ONF's)Atrium open-source SDN Distribution. The Atrium distribution provides a BGP routing application based on Quagga, running over the ONOS OpenFlow SDN controller, and programming the Edgecore Networks AS5712-54X and AS6712-32X open network switches.
- Open Network Linux (ONL). ONL is the OCP-approved reference NOS, and runs on all Edgecore Networks open switches, providing a platform for OpenFlow and other forwarding agents and for value-added switch software development.
- OCP Switch Abstraction Interface(SAI). The OCP-standard abstraction interface facilitates the porting of NOS software to switch hardware based on switch ASICs from different silicon vendors. The Edgecore Networks AS7500-32X 100G open switch supports SAI.
- Leaf and spine architecture scales from L2 fabric for tens of racks to L3 fabric for thousands of racks.
- L3 ECMP topology provides scalable, resilient fabric with non-blocking spine.
- Folded CLOS fabric provides network underlay supporting SDN, virtualization and cloud orchestration software options.